- Professor Böhmer received his diploma and doctor's degree in 1990 and 1996, both from the Departmentof Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Aachen University of Technology, Germany.
- From 1992 to 1996, he worked as a research scientist at the chair of communication networks, Aachen University of Technology. He was involved in several third party projects concerning the evolution and evaluation of mobile and fixed telecommunication networks. He put his main emphasis on the design of wireless ATM-based access networks and software development methods for protocol implementation.
- In 1996 he joined WIMAN Systems GmbH as a team leader for software development of wireless Internet access systems. His area of work additionally comprised the technical consulting of access network deployment projects and the patent right for newly designed wireless network protocols.
- From 1997 to 2001 he worked for o.tel.o/Arcor (vodaphone group). As a team leader he was responsible for the commercial and technical development as well as planning of wireless and fixed access networks. After a short experience in the planning of SDH based nation-wide transport networks he became head of the network planning department in 1999 and was responsible for the development and deployment of o.tel.o's national and international voice network as well as the national IP-Dial-In platform. A major emphasis of his work concerned the appropriate SS7 signalling network and the network-wide SS7 monitoring system.
- Since March 2001 he is a full professor at the University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg.